Sunday, May 25, 2014

And DON'T forget your towel!

Today is Towel Day where fans carry a towel in commemoration of Douglas Adams, one of the most hilarious and forward thinking writers of this century. As many of you know, the towel, according to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, is perhaps the most important thing you can possibly have if you plan on any (or accidentally happen to find yourself involved in) interstellar hitch hiking…

photo credit: Wikimedia Commons 
I discovered Douglas Adams when I was in high school in the early 90’s, much to the dismay of my parents (I think). I remember with delight the way Adams used his cynical wit to illuminate the absurdities of the human condition. I avidly consumed his Hitchhikers "trilogy" and Dirk Gently books and waited impatiently for more. I was devastated to learn of his untimely passing in 2001. Nearly fourteen years passed before I heard Richard Dawkins' Lament for Douglas Adams, who read it himself for us in a forward to the audiobook version of The Salmon of Doubt, which had been published posthumously in 2005. If you haven't read or listened (or both), I urge you to correct that immediately.

Douglas Adams, you are missed.

And because I can't seem to help myself where infographics are concerned, here’s one on the “massively useful” ways to utilize your towel:

Celebrate Towel Day - May 25
by Lemonly.

Happy Towel Day folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment