Friday, September 30, 2011

Facebook Gestures and privacy

The newly announced Facebook Gestures feature is being added to websites all over the net (ie. The Huffington Post Connect feature or sharing music on Spotify). Gestures is an opt-in feature that allows you to share content from a website directly to your Facebook timeline by clicking the "Add to Timeline" button.

What many Facebook users might not be aware of, is the price for all this one-click convenience. Once you add the app to your timeline it will auto-share ALL your activity to your Facebook friends unless you manually change the settings to turn the feature off. It's all well and good when the latest tech article I've read at the Huffington Post is sent to my Facebook profile, but do I really want my friends and colleagues on Facebook to know that I also had a peek at the latest celebrity gossip while I was there? Hmmmm, that's a lot of privacy to give up for convenience...

No comments:

Post a Comment